Since 2005, Charles River, in cooperation with Johns Hopkins University's Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing (CAAT), has proudly sponsored the Charles River Excellence in Refinement Award. This award honors an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the development, promotion, and/or implementation of refinement methods in practice.
Nominee should be an individual who has made an outstanding contribution to the development, promotion and/or implementation of refinement methods. The nominee may be a resident of any country.
Nomination packet should include:
- Curriculum vitae with bibliography
- Brief sketch of nominee’s professional background
- Statement pertaining to his/her qualifications for the award
- Two professional letters from individuals or associations familiar with the nominee’s work
The completed nomination packet must be received no later than January 31, 2020. Please send nomination packet via email to CAAT at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Publications and presentations in the field of laboratory animal science, welfare or ethics
- Teaching and training activities that foster the highest standards of working with animals in science and education
- Public outreach supporting the 3Rs
- Involvement in development of national, regional or public policy enhancing the 3Rs
- Strength of nomination letters
- Contributions to the implementation of the 3Rs in biomedical research
- Other attributes not covered above that should be considered, such as grants to enhance animal care and use programs or involvement in professional organizations (particularly leadership roles).
Plaque, travel stipend up to a maximum of $2000 to travel to the 11th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences in Maastricht, The Netherlands, in August 2020, and $5000 to further the recipient's scientific endeavors. All monies are in USD.
Apply for the Charles River Excellence in Refinement Award; Deadline: January 31, 2020